• Area of Interest: Immigration
  • Category: Help Center
  • Posted Date: 17 April 2019

Spousal work permit 
You're a spouse or family member of someone working or studying temporarily in Canada
You may be eligible for an open work permit if you’re:
•    a spouse of a skilled worker in an occupation under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill type 0, A or B approved to work in Canada six months or longer,
•    a spouse of a foreign student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university or collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec,
•    a family member of a foreign representative, or
•    a family member of a foreign military member who is working in Canada.
If your spouse has an open work permit (e.g. post-graduation work permit), you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with:
•    a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC 0, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and
•    a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips.
Your permit will not be valid longer than your spouse’s work permit.
You also need to meet the general eligibility requirements for a work permit.